more questions

3spd6

so far loving the dino but have a few questions. yesterday(kinda warm day but by no means hot) after a 15 mile ride i stopped for about 5 minutes. when i started it back up the oil light was flashing. i drove a short way, it didn't go out so i stopped & shut it down. checked the owners manual. oil level was ok, no leaks etc. started it back up after 10 minutes light went out. fluke?? or does it have a right side oil pickup thats slow to react when its warm(leaned over etc.) also has anybody found a good/novel/unique place for bungee hooks/studs that won't mar the bodywork? and last has anybody mounted mid mount footpegs?? any input appreciated

spamer80

Well. You probably stopped at an inclined surface. So if you read the owners manual you may find that in this case the oil light will remain until you turn engine off and let the bike cool.

3spd6

more answers

yea it was on an incline but not really steep. i once had a yamaha 750 virago (and i'm told they all did it) that would turn on the oil light if it was idling on the sidestand(which was all it had) and the answer was a few extra ounces of oil. I've since read the dino will do it if its inclined and turned off less than 4 minutes( altho its done it since and was off about 10 minutes). but hey, anybody done bungee nuts/studs??

dkenney

Same thing happened to me. It also stopped after I followed the procedure in the manual. I switched to full synthetic and it has never happened again. Do not no if synthetic did the trick or not but it has not happened again in two years.

3spd6

i've also recently read that restarting with the sidestand down will also do it, so if your oil is hot(and when is it not) restart with the sidestand up. Hasn't done it again but gonna try to remember that when it does!!

tlyons

so far loving the dino but have a few questions. yesterday(kinda warm day but by no means hot) after a 15 mile ride i stopped for about 5 minutes. when i started it back up the oil light was flashing. i drove a short way, it didn't go out so i stopped & shut it down. checked the owners manual. oil level was ok, no leaks etc. started it back up after 10 minutes light went out. fluke?? or does it have a right side oil pickup thats slow to react when its warm(leaned over etc.) also has anybody found a good/novel/unique place for bungee hooks/studs that won't mar the bodywork? and last has anybody mounted mid mount footpegs?? any input appreciated
Did you start it on the sidestand? I was in the habit of starting the engine leaning on the sidestand to warm the engine while I geared up and lit the "OIL" warning (not the low oil/low oil pressure lamp.)

There is a somewhat cryptic thing in the owners manual on page 19 stating that if the engine goes a long time without being able to read the oil level the digital clock goes to "OIL". Page 28 tells how to reset it. Page 31 says it again and says not to turn the ignition on while resting on the sidestand.

How very Honda to make me stand up the bike to start it. How very Honda to tell me 3 times. How very American for me to ignore it.
Now, where can I mount my Big Gulp cup holder...

Last edited: