New w/ question about a noise

retiredrider

Glad I found this fourm its great to know that there are others to share info with about these great bikes. I Just got an 09 and I love it. Ive been riding for over 30 years and this bike really excites me. My wife is planning to learn to ride it as well. I do have a question about a sound it makes sometimes (maybe all the time I am just old and dont always hear it)
Hard to describe but its a clunk or should I say a Cick or thump when I first take off. To be compared to a u joint in a car that clunks if bad when the drive shaft engages. The sound appears to be comming from the drive shaft or at least that area. :eek: Just wondering if thats normal and if anyone else hears it. Only notice it when I take off. The bike rides great shifts great and has no unnessesary vibration. This noise is giving me no reason for alarm. Again just curious. Thanks in advance to anonre with an answer.
Greg

Dale M

Greg, I also have an 09 which I purchased not too long ago. Don't have what you have though. If your idle was set too high and you got a jolt when you put it in Drive, that reasonable. I would bring it to your Honda dealer. I also think its a great bike even though the new ones are very expensive.

tlyons

Glad I found this fourm its great to know that there are others to share info with about these great bikes. I Just got an 09 and I love it. Ive been riding for over 30 years and this bike really excites me. My wife is planning to learn to ride it as well. I do have a question about a sound it makes sometimes (maybe all the time I am just old and dont always hear it)
Hard to describe but its a clunk or should I say a Cick or thump when I first take off. To be compared to a u joint in a car that clunks if bad when the drive shaft engages. The sound appears to be comming from the drive shaft or at least that area. :eek: Just wondering if thats normal and if anyone else hears it. Only notice it when I take off. The bike rides great shifts great and has no unnessesary vibration. This noise is giving me no reason for alarm. Again just curious. Thanks in advance to anonre with an answer.
Greg
That likely the clutch. My does it too and there's a thread somewhere discussing it. As you coast down, above 10MPH you'll feel a fairly strong engine braking and then at 10MPH the clutch disengages and it rolls with a lot less braking.

For an experiment, roll down to just below 10MPH where the clutch disengages and then accelerate again. If you feel/hear the same as you feel when coming from a stop, that's the clutch engaging.

retiredrider

That likely the clutch. My does it too and there's a thread somewhere discussing it. As you coast down, above 10MPH you'll feel a fairly strong engine braking and then at 10MPH the clutch disengages and it rolls with a lot less braking.

For an experiment, roll down to just below 10MPH where the clutch disengages and then accelerate again. If you feel/hear the same as you feel when coming from a stop, that's the clutch engaging.
Thats exactly right . I dont notice every time but it is when the bike engages into drive after "freewheeling or Clutch in" mode and then accelerating. Thanks for your responce.

Stove Pipe

Didn't get a bump but on our first bike the rear wheel momentarily locked up. See my thread: Rear Wheel Tire Bark.

What part of Missouri are you in?