Rear Tire Bark

Stove Pipe

Anyone ever have this happen? While in a full coast down hill (engine at idle and bike in Drive Gear) at roughly 25 mph, the back tire just locked-up for a split second, just as if you were trying to start a manual transmission bike with popping the clutch in 1st gear while trying to crank the engine. Everything seems to be working normal after that and took throttle and headed up the hill ahead normally. Tried to repeat the ordeal over and over in the same location, but never did it again. Any ideas?

zebra03

If I let mine coast at that speed and I try to give it some throttle , it will bark the rear tire like the tranny is trying to catch up with the engine and rear tire .

Stove Pipe

I said a split second in the original post, but it was more like a small skid enough to mark the back tire and scare the both of us!! It was enough it would have dumped her in a curve by sliding out from under her. I tried to repeat it over and over and over, never to make it happen again (same location). Even a couple of times killing the engine while coasting and re-starting, thinking maybe the engine died when it happened. It would have been unpleasant riding something that we trusted like a rattlesnake. Also, we are glad to find out this is probably an isolated incident.

The dealership confered with American Honda and replaced the bike with another last Thursday and we noticed right away the transmission acted totally different. I feel what you are talking about with this new bike and that felt normal to me.

Thanks for the response!

Stove Pipe

Yes Sir! That bike could have been a litigation nightmare for them. If it locked up in a curve at speed it would have been terrible, for us, the dealer and American Honda!

When the owner of the company found out what had happen, I received a text message saying he had already contacted American Honda & he was going to handle the problem just as if his wife would be riding it!! AND that's exactly what he did!! See there are still people in the country that believe in doing what's right and put the money to the side, especially when it comes to a pure safety issue!!

We are and have been a good customer of theirs since 2003, but this is the way they would have handled it if that was the first time and purchase in their store. I can't say enough good about them, they are good people and a family owned store with that same family owned atmosphere in their store, or should I say stores? Sunrise Honda in Searcy AR & their sister store Shawnee Honda in Shawnee OK.

Stove Pipe

Well, the new one when applying throttle from a coast, you feel a gear down type engagement and if going pretty fast we have heard a small tire bark once, but not a rear end lock up and skid like the other defective bike. It never felt like it was free wheeling during coasting like this one does either.

Stove Pipe

Update on NEW DN-01

The wife now has 845 miles on her (NEW) DN-01. It's been through it's 600 mile (first check) already. She is really having a blast being back on two wheels after years on a GL-1800 Champion Trike. The smoothness and the ease of running the twisties without the arm strain of steering the trike and she's always in the right gear! The low center of gravity and the balance is wonderful to her also! My comment is: " It's balanced so good a kick stand should be optional".

Although, the GIVI windshield didn't workout because @ 5' 4" she was looking thru it and it's sumwhat distorted with all the curves in it, to the point of almost making her sick. She said; it was like looking though someone else prescription glasses and trying to walk. She ordered her the Magical Racing windshield from Japan and hopefully she will get it by mid to late October?

When we considered her another ride, she was really considering a CanAm Spyder RT SE, and could still end up with one someday (?), but yesterday, she was offered a used one with 3,000 miles on it, correct color and exactly loaded with equipment as we were considering for a VERY GOOD price and she said: "No I really like my little bike"!

Last edited: