Sparking from spark plug cable boots

twosouls

Just a quick hello.. I just bought a Honda DN-01 yesterday.. Been riding sport bikes for years and thought it was time to switch to something a little different.. :)

The test drive went well, so I bought it on the spot.. When I arrived home, the bike stalled.. When starting the bike, it would run if throttle is given and then die once the bike reached idle..
I could hear some clicking or popping down by the spark plugs.. What I found was sparks coming from the spark plug cable boot and arching out again the engine casing next to where the spark plug mounts..

I've never seen anything like this.. Is it common? I replaced one of the boots as they only had one in stock and that fixed that side from sparking.. I'm waiting for the 2nd one to arrive hopefully on Tuesday..

This morning I went through the paperwork of maintenance and see that the previous owner had the same problem only 400km ago.. He passed away 6 months ago, so obviously I don't get to ask his opinion on this situation..
At that time, the Honda dealer replaced the spark plugs, but not the cables or boots..
Could this problem be more than just the spark plug cable boots?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks
Gary

this was a recall, faulty spark plug boots and should be replaced free from dealer, mine did the same and was replaced and haven't had a problem since(4000 kms).

twosouls

Thanks

Dealer didn't mention anything about the recall to me.. Big shock.. :)
I did buy the 2 new ones and it seems good to go..
Thanks for the replies.. It's much appreciated..

Loving this bike..

Gary