Valve inspection

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Is it really necessary to have the valves inspected @ 8,000 miles? I went to Honda and they wanted $500 to do the job, (4 hours of labor). I live here in the States and I really question the techs familiarization with the bike since Honda did not sell that many of them here. Looking for some insight ... I'm not that heavy with the throttle, I do take care when I ride. Thanks.

L

Liraninc

I heard the V-twin doesn't need it...

I know someone who did it at 33,000, & 70,000, no adjustment needed...

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Thanks for the quick reply ... I feel much better now. I bought the bike with 7800 miles on it and was just wondering IF the DN-01 was susceptible to valve tolerance problems.
Thanks

L

Liraninc

I have 1300 Miles and at starts it has noise

It almost seems like hydraulic lifters, cause it quits when warmed up..

Love my Ride

djy1967

Is it really necessary to have the valves inspected @ 8,000 miles? I went to Honda and they wanted $500 to do the job, (4 hours of labor). I live here in the States and I really question the techs familiarization with the bike since Honda did not sell that many of them here. Looking for some insight ... I'm not that heavy with the throttle, I do take care when I ride. Thanks.
Has anyone got any more updated info on what they have mention in this area about valve adjustment as I just bought a dn01 on the 23/05/14 and the book said due 12000 kms valves inspection so I went to my repairer and he said do them at 24000 kms and thinks it is a waste of money to do them so early.
that said they did have the first service check done at 1500 kms

flavioguy

I had a mechanic (the best one I've ever had) tell me to not bother with valve adjustments unless gas mileage drops, performance changes or you can hear a change in engine sound - specifically valve ticking. He felt that if you change your oil religiously and use top quality oil AND Top Tier gasoline.......valve adjustments are usually unwarranted.

dndom

Most bike engines don't need valves adjusted until 50/60,000 miles, confirmed by a 30+ years mechanic, unless they are well known to , Ducatis and recent fireblades spring to mind.

Freddy

Old topic but........

The Dino I got a few days ago with 18,650km has tappet noise on the rear cylinder. Today I checked the clearance on that cyl: 0.009" In & 0.010" Ex. I set them to 5 & 7 as it seems they increase with wear, unlike shim-under-bucket systems I'm familiar with. I'll remove the airbox tomorrow and do the front head.

Freddy

A bit of a mongrel job getting the front valve cover off with that double prong thingy hanging so low, that holds the pair valve. I had to bent it forward to be able to lift the cover enuff to slip it out. The inlet valves were 7 & 8 and exh both 9 - not as loose as the rear set.

Knob

Site Suporter
A bit of a mongrel job getting the front valve cover off with that double prong thingy hanging so low, that holds the pair valve. I had to bent it forward to be able to lift the cover enuff to slip it out. The inlet valves were 7 & 8 and exh both 9 - not as loose as the rear set.
Better to drop off the whole PAIR valve and related hoses. Benefit to environment from the PAIR is close to zero, especially when there is a catalytic converter installed on the bike. Engine itself does not need the PAIR (neither catalytic converter, frankly speaking). Next time it will be easier to do valve adjustments and bike gets cleaner inners too.
To close the PAIR issue correctly I suggest to use some cover set like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/254621096348
The GL1800 set will fit DN too, been there, done that.
Only thing you may miss later is the popping noise while engine breaking (if one may miss such noises...).

PAIR parts to be removed:
pair.jpg
PAIR removed, new covers installed:
head_front.jpg head_rear.jpg

Last edited:

Knob

Site Suporter
Have you done the valve check yet, or is the above from an earlier time?
I did the 20k km scheduled valve check last year (2021) and removed the PAIR at same procedure. Only one valve of eight was a little bit out of species, having a bit too big slack.
I regret now not paying attention to those camchain tensioners same time...