Yay!! No more Steering Wobble

DammmDel

After reading all threads on the front wheel shake it was time for me to put new tyres on and took the advise on all here. I went with a 190/50x17 rear and a 120/70x17 front. Tyre make is Bridgestone.
I cannot say how different and positive the ride is, thanks guys.
Now to enjoy even more mileage.

Last edited:

Norrie

Don't be too surprised if the wobble is back after about 1,000 Kms. That's what happens after I have fitted new tires.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you though.

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Don't be too surprised if the wobble is back after about 1,000 Kms. That's what happens after I have fitted new tires.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you though.

Did you put on Bridgestone too? I'm running Michelin .... just curious IF it's inherit to the tire manufacturer (Bridgestone) or not, OR possibly the size: 130/70-17 vice 120/70-17.

dndom

Gizmo

Thinking to try Michelin Pilot Road 4's 120/190 next, any thoughts? No problems with the originals though.

jdunker

I've got 800 miles since switching to the 120/70/17 and still no wobble. It's made a huge difference in the ride and feel of the bike now that I don't have to worry about the wobble. Keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't return.

3spd6

steering wobble

i don't have a wobble(and have never had one) but i am due for a new front tire. is it the general opinion that going to a 120/70 front is a good thing??:)

Norrie

I've always fitted Dunlops to the DN01, but tying to change to Road Pilot 4s. I have to find someone who will fit the 120/70 as everyone I've asked so far have refused to make this change. I live in Ireland, perhaps there is some
Legal/safety issue.

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Thinking to try Michelin Pilot Road 4's 120/190 next, any thoughts? No problems with the originals though.
Research, on my part anyways, shows that Michelin PR4's IS a far superior tire ... mileage/wear and wet performance-wise than anything on the market today. They are NOT cheap but then again .... I only have 2 tires between me and the road. The Pirelli Angel GTs comes in a close second.

Gizmo

Site Suporter
i don't have a wobble(and have never had one) but i am due for a new front tire. is it the general opinion that going to a 120/70 front is a good thing??:)
A lot has to do to with the availability of the SIZE of the tire that you are looking for. Not too many 130/70-17 size tires are out there. And just because a vehicle came out with a "specific" tire (size/brand) DOES NOT mean that it's the best tire to use after the originals wear out. Tires improve as "newer" models (tread patterns/material construction) come out. Do research, for your own peace of mind, to have "confidence" with what you are riding on!

Gizmo

Site Suporter
I've always fitted Dunlops to the DN01, but tying to change to Road Pilot 4s. I have to find someone who will fit the 120/70 as everyone I've asked so far have refused to make this change. I live in Ireland, perhaps there is some
Legal/safety issue.
I had gone to several dealerships (Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki) plus others when I was looking for a good price on Michelin PR 4s (120/190) and NONE had a problem mounting the 120 on the front! Numerous people on this forum are running the 120s with NO problems and technically, with the 120's, the bike is EASIER to turn going down the road AND walking!

dndom

Norrie

Legal/safety issue.
The rim size is MT3.5 which allows tyres from 110 to 160! The recommended being 120 or 130.

whitehawk

I replaced very worn BT21s (130/70 on front) with a new set in January. Had no steering wobble on the old tyres and none on new either.
From what I've seen on the forum and from my experience with worn and new BT21s I don't think the steering wobble is simply down to tyre brand.

Gizmo

Site Suporter
I replaced very worn BT21s (130/70 on front) with a new set in January. Had no steering wobble on the old tyres and none on new either.
From what I've seen on the forum and from my experience with worn and new BT21s I don't think the steering wobble is simply down to tyre brand.

Whatever works for you!

Norrie

I showed these post to my stealer and he fitted the pr4s for me. It actually worked out €18 cheaper than the Dunlops which had to be imported from Austria because of the 130 front. He had the 120 in stock so fitted them straight away, no 12 day wait.