Blinking oil pressure (low oil level light)

john boy

dn 01 oil light

my dn01 oil light also keeps coming on, my bike dealer tells me there is not a problem with the oil level or the sensor as it is allways fine, but there is a bit of a perlaver resetting the oil light,

new dn mama

another blinkin oil lite

had it happen other day while out doin errands, wasn,t parked on ahill or doin anything unusual,just had the 8000 mi.check up 10 days or so before,anyway lite comes on ,turn it off wait aminute,try again, still blinkin ,off again.stopped apasserby got him to hold it level ,oil looked fine ,put the dip stik back in turned it on ,no more blinkin.took it to mechanic next day couldn,t see anything wrong,said if it happens again ,may have to look into electrical,reported it to headquarters.

jfally

i had it happen to me as well. it happened when i started the bike with the kickstand down. now when i start it i keep the bike straight up,problem solved hasn't happened since.

Knob

Site Suporter
So, now it seems my turn to deal with this annoying oil warning red light issue.
The red oil warning light did lit up twice in last two weeks.
The oil light thing happened after bike was parked on side stand, the front end a bit upper than horizontal, not much but worth to mention, in both cases. Checking the oil level right on site it was found correct, oil was visually nicely clean. No signs of oil leak at all. Both oil filters used are Honda OEM. Oil used is Motul 7100 with 10W-30 viscosity, 5000 km driven. Engine was sitting for 10...15 minutes in both cases, say warm but not fully warmed up. The letters OIL on dash instead of clock did not come visible never.
Bike has 20000 km on odo. The oil warning light did not go off without the special resetting procedure done described in Service Manual, see below.
After resetting the light it did not come on again, so it looked safe to ride further.
The red light did LIGHT up, not BLINKING. But it may be so as the bike is EU model, it may have some differences in ECM/TCM softwares causing the light be lit all time, not blink, until resetted? The Service Manual I have quoted below is for US model, not for EU.

I was looking in service manual about what sensors there are used and after some thinking it seems logical for me the reason probably is the oil level sensor. This sensor is a floating type sensor and according to Service Manual it has contact points. Seems pretty possible for me those points may not working very well in age of 13 years? And the sensor is installed on bike's engine front right side corner so the float may give some faulty readings while bike is inclined to left and front up.
And after all Honda provides now an upgraded model of the floating sensor with part number 35480MEH003 (old part number is 35480MEH000).
This sensor is used only on DN-01, not on any other bike, so there seem some reason to make some changes to the sensor, et least there are quite a lot of complains about the oil warning light issue. My bike is from 2008, probably it has the first type of oil level sensor and it is time to change it anyway.
In Service manual there is a procedure described how to inspect and change the oil level sensor. It is a floating type of switch, it may be possible for it to stuck the float into unwanted position causing therefore a fault alarm:

03.jpg 01.jpg 02.jpg

Seems pretty easy first to change the sensor rather than pay some hours of labour for dealership for troubleshooting and after that for changing the sensor anyway.

And on my bike the red oil warning light did not go out by itself. I followed the procedure described in Service Manual (didn't find this info in User Manual!):

04.jpg

After resetting the oil light first time I had driven for about 500 km and after second time about 200 km's. No mechanical troubles so far and it keeps oil level.

Last edited:

Gizmo

Site Suporter
So, now it seems my turn to deal with this annoying oil warning red light issue.
The red oil warning light did lit up twice in last two weeks.
The oil light thing happened after bike was parked on side stand, the front end a bit upper than horizontal, not much but worth to mention, in both cases. Checking the oil level right on site it was found correct, oil was visually nicely clean. No signs of oil leak at all. Both oil filters used are Honda OEM. Oil used is Motul 7100 with 10W-30 viscosity, 5000 km driven. Engine was sitting for 10...15 minutes in both cases, say warm but not fully warmed up. The letters OIL on dash instead of clock did not come visible never.
Bike has 20000 km on odo. The oil warning light did not go off without the special resetting procedure done described in Service Manual, see below.
After resetting the light it did not come on again, so it looked safe to ride further.
The red light did LIGHT up, not BLINKING. But it may be so as the bike is EU model, it may have some differences in ECM/TCM softwares causing the light be lit all time, not blink, until resetted? The Service Manual I have quoted below is for US model, not for EU.

I was looking in service manual about what sensors there are used and after some thinking it seems logical for me the reason probably is the oil level sensor. This sensor is a floating type sensor and according to Service Manual it has contact points. Seems pretty possible for me those points may not working very well in age of 13 years? And the sensor is installed on bike's engine front right side corner so the float may give some faulty readings while bike is inclined to left and front up.
And after all Honda provides now an upgraded model of the floating sensor with part number 35480MEH003 (old part number is 35480MEH000).
This sensor is used only on DN-01, not on any other bike, so there seem some reason to make some changes to the sensor, et least there are quite a lot of complains about the oil warning light issue. My bike is from 2008, probably it has the first type of oil level sensor and it is time to change it anyway.
In Service manual there is a procedure described how to inspect and change the oil level sensor. It is a floating type of switch, it may be possible for it to stuck the float into unwanted position causing therefore a fault alarm:

View attachment 434 View attachment 432 View attachment 433

Seems pretty easy first to change the sensor rather than pay some hours of labour for dealership for troubleshooting and after that for changing the sensor anyway.

And on my bike the red oil warning light did not go out by itself. I followed the procedure described in Service Manual (didn't find this info in User Manual!):

View attachment 435

After resetting the oil light first time I had driven for about 500 km and after second time about 200 km's. No mechanical troubles so far and it keeps oil level.
Happened to me a few times too .... always when it was on it's side stand and on an incline, probably more than normal. (Seems to be a VERY sensitive sensor. but then again the HFT is QUITE expensive to replace!) The few times that it came on, it took it's sweet time to go out but I ALWAYS checked the oil level, just for my piece of mind. (2009 DN-01)

Knob

Site Suporter
Happened to me a few times too .... always when it was on it's side stand and on an incline, probably more than normal. (Seems to be a VERY sensitive sensor. but then again the HFT is QUITE expensive to replace!) The few times that it came on, it took it's sweet time to go out but I ALWAYS checked the oil level, just for my piece of mind. (2009 DN-01)
Sure thing to stop at once and check the oil level first right after red oil light comes on. I got both oil lights right at the takeoff after engine starting, not at the onroad high speed driving. Easy to pull over and check the oil level, but still extremely annoying situations, never expected such from Honda.

I will change the oil level sensor for general interest, it's not so very expencive part. I'll keep informed how the newer version will look compared to the old one. It may take some time to arrive as it's only DN-specific part and probably not much of those are in dealers warehouses.

35480MEH003.jpg

BTW it probably is possible to eliminate the oil level sensor. I mean any sane biker will check oil level often enough and in this case the oil level sensor making false alarms may look a bit overkill anyway. Reminds a bit those weird Yamahas giving similar false troubles with their combined oil pressure/level indicators.

BTW does anybody have access to DN's updates list? What recalls should be done to the bike all together? Is there some oil level thing included?

Cornhole8

Thanks to all who replied, I just bought mine a month ago with 5100 miles and rode it from Portland to San Diego and today my oil light started flashing after i started it and didnt go out. I did start it with the kickstand up but ive been starting it with the kickstand down now i know better. Are there any other owners in San Diego? Im letting my dino sit over night and will see what it does in the morning.

Knob

Site Suporter
Thanks to all who replied, I just bought mine a month ago with 5100 miles and rode it from Portland to San Diego and today my oil light started flashing after i started it and didnt go out. I did start it with the kickstand up but ive been starting it with the kickstand down now i know better. Are there any other owners in San Diego? Im letting my dino sit over night and will see what it does in the morning.
The issue about kickstand I think is simple: you will keep the bike upright when the kickstand is up. And then the oil level sensor will get information right, there is enough oil.
Meanwhile when the kickstand is down the bike most obviously is in some tilted position (even when driver is sitting on the bike) and oil level sensor may get wrong oil level information, the sensors float may stuck in some position or similar.
Let's keep in mind, the oil level sensor is a simple combination of a float and a pair of electrical contacts, kind of ON/OFF type device. The float may get stuck in some position and the contact pins will not close or open as should and the result is oil level read out not correctly.

There should not be electrical relation between kickstand switch and oil level sensor. Because it must be possible to start the engine also while kickstand is down (and gear in Neutral ofcourse). The kickstand switch acts as a safety device, as a driving blocker in case the kickstand is down and bike is in gear, it is arranged so in most bikes, some even having the side stand warning light mounted.
I never got the red oil light while started engine in my garage and bike standing slightly tilted on kickstand, the garage floor is otherwise in level ofcourse.
So it doesn't matter if the kickstand is up or down while you start the engine, just keep the bike upright and in driving direction as horizontal leveled as possible.

One thing I noticed and it is not said directly in Service Manual: DN control modules stay alive for about 2-3 minutes after you turn off the ignition key. It is said "let the bike rest for at least 4 minutes after cutting ignition" or something like that in Service Manual (in several places). So yes, it keeps those error states alive for this amount of time. It is not possible to get to reset errors before this time period will pass (except with Honda special Pocket Tester tool).

Last edited:

Cornhole8

Thank you for Responding! I have taken your advice and my blinking oil light has not returned!
I have another question. When I turned the engine off with the kill switch the far right of the instrument panel had a blinking horizontal bash symbol. Is this normal or does it indicate some issue with the Dino. It doesn't blink with any kind of pattern or order, just blinks. Thanks and stay safe.
Doug

Knob

Site Suporter
Thank you for Responding! I have taken your advice and my blinking oil light has not returned!
I have another question. When I turned the engine off with the kill switch the far right of the instrument panel had a blinking horizontal bash symbol. Is this normal or does it indicate some issue with the Dino. It doesn't blink with any kind of pattern or order, just blinks. Thanks and stay safe.
Doug
Is the bike still running? I mean does it allow to switch to D or S and ride?

The blinking "-" means there is some issue related to the transmission. You may try to count the blinks, usually it displays error codes by the number of blinks. The more precise procedure of counting blinks for getting error codes is described in service manual (you can get the pdf file of service manual for free nowadays).

When the "-" blink steady and continuosly (about 1 blink per second), then it probably just needs re-calibrating the swash plate angle sensor. The procedure is described in service manual and I put the related information also below here. Just follow the procedure when you see the blinking "-" on the right side of the instrument panel.
Please note you need some piece of wire to short temporarely the Brown - Green/Yellow wires in the red DLC testing connector located left under the seat (or use Honda tool 070PZ-ZY30100 if you have access to it. The simple piece of wire will do the same).

01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg

If the re-calibrating will not solve the blinking issue, I suggest to visit some known good Honda repairshop to get more error infomation from bike's ECM/TCM. They must have more developed Honda testing tools and they can get more accurate data about what's going on.

BTW I did put these image files into my smartphone (together with the service manual pdf file) so I have always access to information needed if there some error strikes while riding. It saved me in a case of red oil warning light coming up and also once after getting the same blinking "-" on dash.

And specifically I will remind: DO NOT DO ECM RESET BY USING THE HEALTECH (aftermarket) HONDA TESTING TOOL! It will reset also all the DN's transmission (TCM) calibrations and will lead you in troubles! Calibrating the TCM will be mandatory after running the Healtec tool resetting procedure, bike will not switch to D or S then before re-calibrating is done.
Healtec does not say a single word about this issue in their user manual and also their helpdesk probably do not know about it.

Last edited:

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Is the bike still running? I mean does it allow to switch to D or S and ride?

The blinking "-" means there is some issue related to the transmission. You may try to count the blinks, usually it displays error codes by the number of blinks. The more precise procedure of counting blinks for getting error codes is described in service manual (you can get the pdf file of service manual for free nowadays).

When the "-" blink steady and continuosly (about 1 blink per second), then it probably just needs re-calibrating the swash plate angle sensor. The procedure is described in service manual and I put the related information also below here. Just follow the procedure when you see the blinking "-" on the right side of the instrument panel.
Please note you need some piece of wire to short temporarely the Brown - Green/Yellow wires in the red DLC testing connector located left under the seat (or use Honda tool 070PZ-ZY30100 if you have access to it. The simple piece of wire will do the same).

View attachment 445 View attachment 446 View attachment 447 View attachment 448

If the re-calibrating will not solve the blinking issue, I suggest to visit some known good Honda repairshop to get more error infomation from bike's ECM/TCM. They must have more developed Honda testing tools and they can get more accurate data about what's going on.

BTW I did put these image files into my smartphone (together with the service manual pdf file) so I have always access to information needed if there some error strikes while riding. It saved me in a case of red oil warning light coming up and also once after getting the same blinking "-" on dash.

And specifically I will remind: DO NOT DO ECM RESET BY USING THE HEALTECH (aftermarket) HONDA TESTING TOOL! It will reset also all the DN's transmission (TCM) calibrations and will lead you in troubles! Calibrating the TCM will be mandatory after running the Healtec tool resetting procedure, bike will not switch to D or S then before re-calibrating is done.
Healtec does not say a single word about this issue in their user manual and also their helpdesk probably do not know about it.
Thanks for the info Knob

BobF

Regarding switching off the engine using the kill switch - apparently, the correct thing to do is to turn off the engine using the ignition key - the kill switch is only for emergencies!

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Regarding switching off the engine using the kill switch - apparently, the correct thing to do is to turn off the engine using the ignition key - the kill switch is only for emergencies!
AH YEAH! Why use the kill switch to turn off the bike is BEYOND ME! The KEY IS the KEY!! (I totally agree with BobF!)

Knob

Site Suporter
Basically I agree. I also shut down the engine always by the key only.

But out there is an oppinion encourageing to use the kill switch: they say using kill switch will work out the muscle memory to find it blindly and use automatically in real emergency situation. And I must agree with it. Not using the kill switch on regular basis - and you will not find it in emergency case...

Second thing: all electrical switches not used regularly tend to get oxidized the contact points. And one day you may find yourself wondering why the starting motor on your Honda will not work? I had such experience with my Goldwing. Honda is mayde so the starter motor relay gets elelctrical power thru the kill switch. So keep it clean by working out on it once in a while.

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Basically I agree. I also shut down the engine always by the key only.

But out there is an oppinion encourageing to use the kill switch: they say using kill switch will work out the muscle memory to find it blindly and use automatically in real emergency situation. And I must agree with it. Not using the kill switch on regular basis - and you will not find it in emergency case...

Second thing: all electrical switches not used regularly tend to get oxidized the contact points. And one day you may find yourself wondering why the starting motor on your Honda will not work? I had such experience with my Goldwing. Honda is mayde so the starter motor relay gets elelctrical power thru the kill switch. So keep it clean by working out on it once in a while.
And how many times have I heard or found out someone's bike won't start because the kill switch is turned on? I sure would hate it if someone took their bike to the dealership/repair place only to find out the 'kill switch' was engaged. As we get older, we tend to forget things or get complacent (an old habit) and don't realize what we did. The Dino being 'unique' I tend not to cause additional 'grief' by finding out what happens, (displayed) IF I chose to turn my bike off via the Kill switch or by using the Kill switch, unnecessarily, caused a problem within the switch. I wonder IF water intrusion was your original problem with the Kill switch on the Goldwing, Knob!

Last edited:

DNSarnia

I have to apologize that I didn't get onto this particular forum until now. The answer to the 'OIL' being displayed is NOT to do with parking on a slope - though that is part of it.
What is going on - When you start your bike, the computer runs through a complete list of sensors. Those sensors assume one vital point - you have started your bike, therefor, you are sitting on your bike, and the bike is in the upright position.

If, like me, you like to warm up your bike, you start the bike while still getting ready. With the bike still on the kickstand, you start the bike, and are putting on your gloves, helmet, zipping your jacket etc....then mount the bike. During this time, the bike is on the side stand, and there is a sensor that can see that, and as such - does not look for the 'oil sensor', as the level will be incorrect. There is a number of times that you can do this, and it carries on as if no problem. Once you exceed that number, it then makes the uneducated guess that the oil is actually low, and displays OIL in the display area.

Turning the bike off, straddling the bike with both feet on the ground, (bike upright) - and restarting the bike - you will see the display do a complete sensor test, and once again, include the oil level sensor test. You should be then good to go, as nothing was wrong in the first place.

Once again, Sorry I missed this one. I investigated this phenomenon extensively the first summer I had the bike (2010) when if first happened. Since then, I just make sure that about every fifth or sixth start up, I make sure it's in the upright position, and it's never happened again.

plodd

i had this issue several time over the last few years until one day it just would not start, took it to my local garage (G S Motorcycles) and he found that the engine oil sensor had not been earthed corectly giving the engine a false low level oil indicator. hope this helps