power commander

has anyone put a power commander module on there bike.
if so did it make much of a difference
I have a k&n air cleaner and a original motion pipe and a o2 sensor bypass
plug and it runs better than stock but would like to know if a power commander would make much of a difference.

spamer80

Well, I don't have the power commander but I have something to tell you. You probably forgot the catalytic converter. If you do not remove it, it really does not matter which muffler do you have, you will still have the same gas resistance at the end. Also, you actually don't need the o2 sensor bypass, because it's installed after the catalytic converter.
As for me, I don't want to spend my money to have +1HP and +2tq to my DN, I like it stock. But anyway, I have removed the catalytic converter to increase rear clearance and installed K&N filter because it's hard to find the original here.

I have taken the catalytic convertor out
and where did you get the 1hp-2tq numbers from? I have used power commander on other bikes with similar mods and has made a lot of difference
it doesn't matter where the 02 sensor is it will still lean out the mixture as much as possible for epa laws(and lean doesn't mean good)

spamer80

Under "1hp-2tq" I just mean that I really doubt that it worth the money you spent on it. DN-01 was never fast/powerful bike and will never become it. And about o2 sensor, I've heard that on BMW bikes for example removing the catalytic converter cause the sensor error and error light/message. The bike runs on "going to service" mode and performance drops dramatically.

thanks for your reply.
so since you have removed the catalytic converter and you still have the 02 sensor have you got a fault light from it, like you said you should?

spamer80

I've said that I probably should get it on BMW bike. Everything works normal and no error lights etc. on my DN-01.

xaneti

Hello!!
I have installed also o2 bypass, K&N filter and a Danmoto exhaust. Next week i will remove catalyzer to try to get more HP for my DN. I will report my feelings about new condition. :)

Spamer, get you more power by removing the catalyst?

Last edited:

xaneti

Ok thanks Spamer. I hope i will improve a little more together with muffler and the other modifications i have added to my dn.

I will keep you informed:)

avion

has anyone put a power commander module on there bike.
if so did it make much of a difference
I have a k&n air cleaner and a original motion pipe and a o2 sensor bypass
plug and it runs better than stock but would like to know if a power commander would make much of a difference.
Which sensor bypass did you use?

Was this on ebay: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/o2-Oxygen-Lambda-Sensor-Eliminator-For-Honda-DN-01-DN01-ALL-YEARS-/321872333456?hash=item4af1160a90:g:StIAAOSw7ThUotjr

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Spamer80, you seem to be pretty sharp. I have a question to ask you ... I have both the DN-01 and an NT700V, both with the same engines. Both are shaft drive but the DN-01 is rated at roughly 50 HP where as the NT700V is rated as 65 HP. Any thoughts or am I TOTALLY out to lunch in my thinking. (Both run 4K rpm @ 60 mph in top gear and there is a difference of 10 mpg, in favor of the NT700V). Would it benefit me to re-tune the DN-01 to "match" the NT700V IF there is a REAL difference? Thanks

spamer80

Well, I've heard about hp difference but not so much. I even heard that some DN (probably US or something) differs in hp. Mine (ED version) is actually rated as 60hp in all docs. So you probably should be able to tune it.

DNSarnia

'booster chips' vs mileage

Since I'm doing mostly distance riding, fuel economy is important to me.
Does anybody have any input on if these chips can be 'tuned' to provide better mileage?

Presently, I get about the same L/100km as my VW Diesel, which I find insulting that I pay more for a liter of gas then Diesel... it costs me more to ride my bike than my TDI Wagon

spamer80

You should remember that you have 6.8 to 60mph on DN. Can your VW do that? In this case bike always "eats" more.

DNSarnia

A reply from Magnum Tuning

"Though performance chips basically are designed to gain more performance and not especially to improve the economy, as opposed to your assumption, each Magnum fuel controller reduce the fuel consumption as a positive side effect. Modification of the air fuel ratio - slightly at the expense of other factors as emission, etc., - results in increased combustion efficiency and fuel saving accordingly. The typical economy improvement is 6%."

6% on a 300km tank is only 18 more Kilometers. Hardly a staggering amount, but could be the difference between getting there and not. (I've run my tank using conservative driving methods and completely drained the tank... Total was 330 km, so this would push it up to almost 350 km)

DammmDel

Since I'm doing mostly distance riding, fuel economy is important to me.
Does anybody have any input on if these chips can be 'tuned' to provide better mileage?

Presently, I get about the same L/100km as my VW Diesel, which I find insulting that I pay more for a liter of gas then Diesel... it costs me more to ride my bike than my TDI Wagon
we pay more for diesel here in the UK :(

bhamrider

I have made all the modifications except for removing the cat. Those include K&N air filter, OM exhaust, and removing the air restriction nozzle on the air box.
Air in equals air out. There is a rubber nozzle on the air-box (air filter cover) that reduces the air intake. The intake diameter is about 38 mm. If you remove it it is 60 mm. I put a stainless steel wire mesh (sink strainer) over it with a bead of silicon. The next time I clean the air filter I will put another 60 mm hole next to it.
I am ready to replace the cat and have the 330 ohm resistor plug to replace the O2 sensor.
The O2 bypass tells the the ECM that the exhaust gas is at the optimum and does not adjusts the lean/ rich mixture as much. This makes the motor run cooler and increase fuel economy.

Your thoughts?