Where was your last ride?

3spd6

but just to clarify, i was referring to the ctx 700's. the ctx 1300 i believe, is based on the st1300(or as you call it in europe the pan american). that engine is a proven unit. the new ctx 700 is a completely new unit and has no history. i hope it holds up but will wait and see.:)

DammmDel

thanks for that info..
However it does show that even though the engine is so reliable, I suppose its comparable to putting a jaguar engine into a reliant robin 3 wheeler car lol. plenty of reliable power in an inept vehicle :D

3spd6

actually the more i think about it i wouldn't consider the bug eye sprite an "inept" vehicle, so i'll say the ctx/st1300 unit in a 1960 anglia 105E.:D:D

zebra03

I took the Bigger CTX 1300 out for a test ride at my local Honda and to be honest I was very unimpressed. The ride was lumpy the mirrors I found were useless as you couldn't see past your hands and I felt as if I was sitting bandy legged as it felt uncomfortably wide. However on the plus side I found the overall balance of the bike very good.
Yes , that wide seat was really uncomfortable .

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Okay, I'm late with my last adventure. Last Sunday, April 25th, I hooked up with a Meetup group from the other side of town and we went all the way to the opposite side of Florida, the West Coast. We had about 17 bikes with 22 riders, mostly cruisers with one or two standards and sporties, a Can-Am Spyder and 1 Dino. It seems like it took us FOREVER to get to Cedar Keys, the weather was great for the ride though. I traded off, back-and-forth, with the Spyder as sweeper/tail during our ride ... I LIKE riding in the back. The view is so much BETTER! Anyways, we had seafood at Steamers, I had been there before, GREAT food and prices! On the way back is where the REAL adventure started. We had stopped off to fuel up about 60 miles out of Cedar Keys and to take a rest break. Now when I came out of the men's room, everyone was gone! They had left me behind! No GPS, only a simple pop-up phone ... which way is home? Luckily I DID stop at a few places and asked for directions and they got me back to a familiar area and I got home. I was PISSED and gave the ride leader a blast when I got a hold of him. (So much for we: "NEVER LEAVE ANYONE BEHIND!") Lessons learned on that one ... only about 80-100 miles from the house.

zebra03

Okay, I'm late with my last adventure. Last Sunday, April 25th, I hooked up with a Meetup group from the other side of town and we went all the way to the opposite side of Florida, the West Coast. We had about 17 bikes with 22 riders, mostly cruisers with one or two standards and sporties, a Can-Am Spyder and 1 Dino. It seems like it took us FOREVER to get to Cedar Keys, the weather was great for the ride though. I traded off, back-and-forth, with the Spyder as sweeper/tail during our ride ... I LIKE riding in the back. The view is so much BETTER! Anyways, we had seafood at Steamers, I had been there before, GREAT food and prices! On the way back is where the REAL adventure started. We had stopped off to fuel up about 60 miles out of Cedar Keys and to take a rest break. Now when I came out of the men's room, everyone was gone! They had left me behind! No GPS, only a simple pop-up phone ... which way is home? Luckily I DID stop at a few places and asked for directions and they got me back to a familiar area and I got home. I was PISSED and gave the ride leader a blast when I got a hold of him. (So much for we: "NEVER LEAVE ANYONE BEHIND!") Lessons learned on that one ... only about 80-100 miles from the house.
Sorry to hear that G . I got left behind once and it certainly ticked me off!

The weather is FINALLY getting better here so maybe can start riding again . My problem is , I might have hip replacement in my near future . argh

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Sorry to hear that G . I got left behind once and it certainly ticked me off!

The weather is FINALLY getting better here so maybe can start riding again . My problem is , I might have hip replacement in my near future . argh

Just had my right knee replaced 5 weeks ago, still going thru rehab. BUT, the good thing about it is ... the Dino's footrest is 90 degrees bend for the knee so I was able to ride within 2 weeks of the surgery. I start back to work this Monday, 6 weeks after my surgery. I hear that hip replacement/surgery is EASIER/QUICKER recovery than the knee. Wish you luck ... you'll be a BETTER/DIFFERENT man after the surgery and you should recover quick!

Pebbles

I can relate to you guys, I'm in denial about an eventual hip replacement. One of the guys at work had knee replacement before last Thanksgiving and is still working it out. But he is really glad he got it done. I hope everything works out for both of you.

So I'm way behind on our ride activities too. We had our first trip last weekend and it was fairly local, about 130 miles/ 210 km away on the other side of the Chesapeake Bay on the eastern shore of Maryland. This has been an annual ride every year based out of Chincoteague, VA but the local guy hosting it was able to hand it off to somebody new after 12 years. The new ride host picked a new route further north out of Dover, Delaware. So this went from being the Eastern Shore Ride (ESR) to the Northern Eastern Shore Ride (NESR).

You never know what the weather will be on this ride. This time we had strong winds on the Friday ride to Dover, chilly overcast on the group ride Saturday and of course awesome warm and clear weather for the Sunday ride home.

This was a smallish group of 15 bikes, 4 of which carried passengers. 2 Harley cruisers, 2 other cruisers, 3 Gold Wings (1 was a trike), 3 BMW adventure bikes, 1 BMW Sport Tour, 2 Honda Pacific Coasts (which is the bike that brought this group together) and Pebbles' Dino and my ST1300.

We started out in 40F/4C degree weather at 8am and rode up the Delaware coastline. Most of the eastern shore area is flat and rural, mainly farming and chicken outside of the beach tourist or fishing areas. A lot of bird and wildlife sanctuaries too. Very scenic once you get past the fact there are no hills and the omnipresent smell of chicken fertilizer.

We stopped off at several points of interest including Delaware City and after crossing over to the west side we descended down the coast crossing over many bridges until we got to lunch at Rock Hill, MD. It was a great seafood lunch stop where it finally warmed up to 50F/10C. The ride had one surprise, a short 1/2 mile trip down a blind gravel road to a wildlife center. Several in the group were unhappy with the gravel, which did have at least two deep patches, but everybody toughed it out without incident.

The group returned to the motel by 5pm just as the sun decided to come out. The route ended up being 201 miles/ 323 km.

Since we're all staying together in the same motel we have Friday night dinner, Saturday breakfast/lunch/dinner and Sunday breakfast together. This time at Sat's dinner the restaurant was within walking distance which allowed some of the group to partake in "strong drinks". By midway thru dinner one table of our group started singing to Bob Marley. Everybody pulled out their phones and now our video clips have been safely stored for future reference and blackmail of the ladies in the group we dubbed "Barbie Marley and the BM Experience Singers".

After breakfast on Sunday we checked out of the motel and rode over to the nearby Dover Air Force Base and got a tour of the Air Mobility Command Museum. Basically the AMC museum has about a dozen of the huge planes the USAF has used to transport men and equipment around the world. This included a tour inside a Galaxy C5A, a huge plane indeed!

After the tour we said our goodbyes with everybody and made our up and around the northern end of the Chesapeake Bay and stopped off at the scenic little town of Havre De Grace for ice cream :0. From there we sadly had to finally jump on the interstate and engage the heavy traffic in high speed stop and go. Deciding again for the scenic route, we got off I-95 and headed west on I-70 to Frederick, MD and from there down the calmer Route 15 to home, arriving just before sunset having made the most of the day.

Even is group riding isn't your regular thing, it's great to find a group you can share a weekend ride experience with. One of these days we hope we'll be able to hook up with another Dino rider on one of these trips.

Here's a link to my buddy's Flickr album which he compiled photos from several of us. https://flic.kr/p/smUJ1x

Terran Sin
Tour Guide and Parking Valet for Pebbles.

Attachments

Last edited:

dndom

Pebbles

Thanks for the reply, I've also concluded long and low beats tall tourers in high winds myself. The 'Adventure' bikes are even worse! Ran a Silverwing for 15k mls as well, main negatives being the awful suspension and heavy rear end feel.

zebra03

Just had my right knee replaced 5 weeks ago, still going thru rehab. BUT, the good thing about it is ... the Dino's footrest is 90 degrees bend for the knee so I was able to ride within 2 weeks of the surgery. I start back to work this Monday, 6 weeks after my surgery. I hear that hip replacement/surgery is EASIER/QUICKER recovery than the knee. Wish you luck ... you'll be a BETTER/DIFFERENT man after the surgery and you should recover quick!
I can relate to you guys, I'm in denial about an eventual hip replacement. One of the guys at work had knee replacement before last Thanksgiving and is still working it out. But he is really glad he got it done. I hope everything works out for both of you.

So I'm way behind on our ride activities too. We had our first trip last weekend and it was fairly local, about 130 miles/ 210 km away on the other side of the Chesapeake Bay on the eastern shore of Maryland. This has been an annual ride every year based out of Chincoteague, VA but the local guy hosting it was able to hand it off to somebody new after 12 years. The new ride host picked a new route further north out of Dover, Delaware. So this went from being the Eastern Shore Ride (ESR) to the Northern Eastern Shore Ride (NESR).

You never know what the weather will be on this ride. This time we had strong winds on the Friday ride to Dover, chilly overcast on the group ride Saturday and of course awesome warm and clear weather for the Sunday ride home.

This was a smallish group of 15 bikes, 4 of which carried passengers. 2 Harley cruisers, 2 other cruisers, 3 Gold Wings (1 was a trike), 3 BMW adventure bikes, 1 BMW Sport Tour, 2 Honda Pacific Coasts (which is the bike that brought this group together) and Pebbles' Dino and my ST1300.

We started out in 40F/4C degree weather at 8am and rode up the Delaware coastline. Most of the eastern shore area is flat and rural, mainly farming and chicken outside of the beach tourist or fishing areas. A lot of bird and wildlife sanctuaries too. Very scenic once you get past the fact there are no hills and the omnipresent smell of chicken fertilizer.

We stopped off at several points of interest including Delaware City and after crossing over to the west side we descended down the coast crossing over many bridges until we got to lunch at Rock Hill, MD. It was a great seafood lunch stop where it finally warmed up to 50F/10C. The ride had one surprise, a short 1/2 mile trip down a blind gravel road to a wildlife center. Several in the group were unhappy with the gravel, which did have at least two deep patches, but everybody toughed it out without incident.

The group returned to the motel by 5pm just as the sun decided to come out. The route ended up being 201 miles/ 323 km.

Since we're all staying together in the same motel we have Friday night dinner, Saturday breakfast/lunch/dinner and Sunday breakfast together. This time at Sat's dinner the restaurant was within walking distance which allowed some of the group to partake in "strong drinks". By midway thru dinner one table of our group started singing to Bob Marley. Everybody pulled out their phones and now our video clips have been safely stored for future reference and blackmail of the ladies in the group we dubbed "Barbie Marley and the BM Experience Singers".

After breakfast on Sunday we checked out of the motel and rode over to the nearby Dover Air Force Base and got a tour of the Air Mobility Command Museum. Basically the AMC museum has about a dozen of the huge planes the USAF has used to transport men and equipment around the world. This included a tour inside a Galaxy C5A, a huge plane indeed!

After the tour we said our goodbyes with everybody and made our up and around the northern end of the Chesapeake Bay and stopped off at the scenic little town of Havre De Grace for ice cream :0. From there we sadly had to finally jump on the interstate and engage the heavy traffic in high speed stop and go. Deciding again for the scenic route, we got off I-95 and headed west on I-70 to Frederick, MD and from there down the calmer Route 15 to home, arriving just before sunset having made the most of the day.

Even is group riding isn't your regular thing, it's great to find a group you can share a weekend ride experience with. One of these days we hope we'll be able to hook up with another Dino rider on one of these trips.

Here's a link to my buddy's Flickr album which he compiled photos from several of us. https://flic.kr/p/smUJ1x

Terran Sin
Tour Guide and Parking Valet for Pebbles.
Thanks for the encouragement guys . I have been riding back and forth to work .

Great ride report Pebbles .

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Time to get some ice cream. Hooked up with a few friends yesterday for an Ice Cream Social ride into central Florida, about 75 miles one way. Weather was in the mid 80's all day with very little wind. In usual form, I rode Sweeper/Tail for our little excursion ... not that I could have done much IF someone had problems (can't carry much on the Dino). Luckily, everyone were riding fairly new bikes (most still under warranty) and all were well maintained. The Road Captain took us on a lot of really cool "twisties" en route ... not a problem for the Red Queen, such is one of the advantages of riding of a DN-01. Our destination: The Ice Cream Station is really "out-in-the-sticks," if you get my drift, in a VERY small town that's barely on a map. The Station is a beautiful place for food and ice cream that I could have NEVER found on my own! Sorry to say, I didn't quite do the ice cream thing, it was noon and the burgers were calling me! Food was good, just a little pricey. After about an hour of socializing, everyone departed in little groups and make our ways back home. Since I carry NO GPS, I hooked up with a couple old friends and they "guided" me back to more familiar territory.

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Ice Cream Run

Departed at 7:30 PM, 7/3/15, from Gate gas station on Heckscher Dr. here in Jacksonville. Weather was a warm 80, no wind. Originally, 12 people signed up for the ride but as the day approached, more people decided to go. When we left the gas station, we had 44 people signed on, 40 bikes! I put it to the Road Captain to split up the large group to a few MORE manageable sizes BUT we did leave as one. Luckily, traffic was slight en route to Fernandina Beach and we didn't have any problems on the way. There was some concerns about the numerous round-a-bouts that we had to encounter ... didn't lose a single rider though. We ended up at Stone Cold, a creamery, specializing in hand-made ice cream. Best ice cream that I've ever had .... VERY rich!! By the time we left Fernandina, about midnight, the ride back home was VERY interesting .... no street lighting! The ride is about 30 miles, along the coast, with vegetation on both sides of the twisty road, at speeds of 50 mph. The road is great when it's light out BUT at night, it's a whole new adventure! I think they are planning another ride in a couple of months .... PLEASE let's go to a place that IS well lit for the ride back and not something that requires going through the jungle, just to get home!

zebra03

The weather here in western Pa has been so wet , we just can't get a ride in . We did go down to Altoona for service on the DN-01 and holy cow , we bought a Suzuki Burgman 650 . A Maxi -Scooter ! So Mrs Z will be on the DN-01 and I hope to keep up on the Burgman .

dndom

Zebra,

What's the ride quality of the Burgman compared to the DN? Just as it has identical shocks to the Silverwing.

Gizmo

Site Suporter
3 Bananas Ride

Left the house @ 8:30 AM to meet for a group ride on the other side of town to the 3 Bananas restaurant in Crescent City, FL. Numbering 10, we had BMWs, Harleys, Hondas, Yamahas and a Kawasaki KLR 650. Our little trek was about 170+ mile, round trip. Typical Florida weather: started out about 80, by the time we reach the destination, close to 90. And when we left to head home, 100 degrees. Luckily, the ride was almost non-stop so the temps weren't too bad AND we did encounter a "few" rain drops to easy the temps .... to the tune of 'I got soaked' at one point yet by the time I got home .... bone dry! (It was like someone turned on the water spigot full force and then shut it off abruptly). What's cool about the rain here in Florida .... you can always see the rain coming down the road and you know you HAVE TO go thru it to get where you're going. You just hope that you can "ride through it" and it's bright and sunny on the other side, other than that, the rain follows you all the way home!

zebra03

What's the ride quality of the Burgman compared to the DN? Just as it has identical shocks to the Silverwing.
Only about 700 miles so far , but I think the Burgman rides a little better . But make no mistake , the DN-01 is a motorcycle and the Burgman is a scooter .