Where was your last ride?

zebra03

No rides lately . Got my new hip on 9-21-15 so been taking it easy . Hey Gizmo, hope things are all right .

Gizmo

Site Suporter
No rides lately . Got my new hip on 9-21-15 so been taking it easy . Hey Gizmo, hope things are all right .
Never hurts to "tune-up" the bod, especially when it's not functioning well as it is. I hear that hip replacement recovery is fairly quick compared to knee, I know it took me awhile to feel "fully" comfortable with my new knee, about 6 weeks! (Yet I did ride the Dino to the opposite coast of Florida a week AFTER my replacement!)
As far as MY "distance" rides, I have acquired an NT700V to successfully haul "necessary" 'what if' stuff: for flat tires, jumper starter, tools, fuel siphoning, rain gear, etc. that we know the Dino could not possibly carry. Therefore, I have "limited" the distance I am willing to go with the Red Queen (DN-01) to about 150+ miles which isn't all that far, considering it being a round trip.

Last edited:

zebra03

Never hurts to "tune-up" the bod, especially when it's not functioning well as it is. I hear that hip replacement recovery is fairly quick compared to knee, I know it took me awhile to feel "fully" comfortable with my new knee, about 6 weeks! (Yet I did ride the Dino to the opposite coast of Florida a week AFTER my replacement!)
As far as MY "distance" rides, I have acquired an NT700V to successfully haul "necessary" 'what if' stuff: for flat tires, jumper starter, tools, fuel siphoning, rain gear, etc. that we know the Dino could not possibly carry. Therefore, I have "limited" the distance I am willing to go with the Red Queen (DN-01) to about 150+ miles which isn't all that far, considering it being a round trip.
Still using a walker . Therapy is now on my schedule . How do you like the NT ?

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Still using a walker . Therapy is now on my schedule . How do you like the NT ?

Walkers ARE cool, it's those damn crutches that I HATE!

The NT seem to run STRONGER than the Dino but the engine sounds "tinny" (same engines). Maybe it's because the engine is more open or tuned "differently." Definitely get BETTER mileage out of the NT (+10 mpg) and it does have a higher top-end over the Dino. Both run about 4 grand @ 60 mph (automatic vs 5 speed) which has got scratching my head! The only reasons I went with the NT was: used @ a GOOD price, I get to carry "stuff" and it's great in the twisties! (It's a medium-sized sport tour bike getting 60-65 mpg @ highways speeds). Therefore, I DO like it. The Dino, I just enjoy more!

3spd6

there must be a subconscious movement or something. i traded my dino for a can am spyder but couldn't quite get used to it so i picked up a really cherry 2011 honda nt700v also. 4200 miles, like brand new. and i second everything he just said.

DNSarnia

It's almost over...

I headed out today for about 100 km journey (200km total) to pick a pumpkin today. Where we were supposed to meet up pre-ride, was 2 trucks, and only one other bike. Due to the 4 deg. C and 'freezing sleet' in the forecast we opted to each take a ride in each of the trucks. Arriving home I timed it perfectly to arrive exactly at 45,000 km. so, 5 years @ 9,000 km (average) per year. Not to bad.

Last edited:

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Ventured out Saturday for a 256 mile ride to Cedar Key, Florida and back. (Needed to take the Dino for a good long spin). I started out @ 7:30 AM to meet up with the riding group @ 8:30 and head out. It was a might chilly to start out, had to bundle up a bit. We had 9 bikes going ... a couple 2 ups but mainly solo riders. We even had a VMAX in the group which required additional fuel stops so he could make it! The temps stayed fairly cold with the wind and speeds at which we were traveling. About 10:30 we stopped to shed a few layers before arriving in Cedar Key at 11:30. We arrived just as the Cedar Key Seafood Festival was in full swing. Talk about a crowded place .... vendors and people EVERYWHERE. (If I had gone to Daytona's Biketoberfest instead, it would have been just as crowded!) We stayed a bit, nobody was really enjoying themselves .... too many people. On the way back, the majority of us took a shorter, more direct route ... really cranking up the speed, no back roads this time! Finished out the day with the grandkids at the house. Definitely slept good that night!

zebra03

Seafood and a group ride ? You are killing me Gizmo !! hahaha

I am using a cane now . Pretty exciting , huh?

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Seafood and a group ride ? You are killing me Gizmo !! hahaha

I am using a cane now . Pretty exciting , huh?

Yeah ... get off the damn cane (old man's third leg). At least it's NOT crutches ...the devil's device. (I have crashed and smash too many times on those wicked sticks!) I'm looking forward to hearing you on your rubber wheels (THE BIKE).

Gizmo

Site Suporter
The infamous Waldo, FL .... the speed trap of Northern Florida. It was a barbecue lunch ride to Randy's Rib Shack with First Coast Friends and Riders. Normally, it's about a 45 minute ride, our Road Captain took the scenic route (2 hours) instead. Country roads all the way with a few twisties thrown in just to make it more interesting. The weather could not have been better, a little windy but temps stayed about 75. I don't know if it's because of the the size of the rear tire or the balance of the bike but most of my riding was done "hands free" to Randy's. I've gotten fairly proficient using the lean of my body to negotiate around curves, and the straight-aways .... no problem! (I am riding on Michelin PR4s, F: 120/70R17 R: 190/50R17, installed about 1500 miles ago so that may be a helping factor). On the ride back, I had the Dino "cranking" the RPMs .... especially on the interstate, playing Mr Sportbike, in and out of traffic. (No "hands free" this time).

On a separate note, recently I've been having an occasional problem with starting the bike (cold or hot). It wouldn't turn over. I originally started playing with the "kill" and the "kickstand" switches, and the battery figuring that they were the problem. After a few months of scratching my head, I finally realized that the bike wasn't in "Neutral" when I attempted to start. I do seem to remember someone, on this site, remarking that it's BEST to switch the "Neutral/Drive" switch to "Neutral" prior to switching the bike off, seems to work! (Just an additional step to putting her to bed!)

Gizmo

Site Suporter
My long distance runner, an NT700V just didn't want to start ... low battery. I therefore had to revert to my "reliable" DN-01 to make the run. 285 miles round trip to Sugarloaf, FL, just northwest of Orlando was our destination. 4 hours in the saddle, with 2 stops en route and A LOT of back, country roads got us (15 bikes/18 people) there. I had planned on using the NT700V because I would have been able to carry "What If" supplies (tire repair/tools/jumper starter/gas siphon...etc). I guess it just wasn't meant to be .... luckily we had no problems. We ate at the Thai Blossom Restaurant, located in a very elegant hotel in downtown Winter Garden. We had made reservations prior to our arrival so we were immediately seated. I ordered Sweet & Sour chicken since I'm a sucker for any Sweet & Sour dish. We didn't stay long though, everyone wanted to get back. On the way home, we stopped once to gas up. The majority of the group continued on, a few of us (3) took a different, quicker route. We were able to make the ride back in 2 hours, mainly by hooking up with I-95 and "exceeding" the speed limit, just a little (A LOT)! Aerodynamically, the Dino REALLY hugs the road at speed!

DNSarnia

Sarnia to the Elora Gorge and return.

UP and at it, at about 6:30 this morning, 2*C with a high by about 5*C mid-afternoon. Arrived home and departed in the dark.
I really hate this time of year with so little daylight.

It was a great trip, including an unexpected stop courtesy of the Mitchell City Police department. Passing through, and past a police undercover cruiser, we (5 of us) were pulled over for doing 106 km/h in an 80 zone. For some further unexpected reason all 6 cruisers that it took to get us pulled over, decided to only give all of us a warning - No fines. Thank you very much - really made our day.

Anyway... the event we were headed for was a charity breakfast/brunch put on by the Canadian Motorcycle Cruisers. With only 200 (or so) guests. We raised over $10,000 for the Children's Wish Foundation.

So, today's ride (Nov 8, 2015) by the numbers:
Riding time: over 7 hours in the saddle
Maximum Speed: apparently 106 Km (26 over the limit - really OR at least that's as much as I'll admit to)
Total distance: 464 km
Total Fuel: 21.33 L
Total Time (including event): 12-1/2 hours
Total distance this month so far: 1,539 Km (not bad for November)

Exhaustion Level: totally
Overall comfort level: Not so bad - I love heated grips!

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Veteran's Day Ride

Wednesday morning, met up with the American Legion Post 233 Riders out of Ponte Vedra @ the Gate gas station on US 1. We totaled 43 bikes, mostly big cruisers, with a various assortment of sport/touring bikes and three wheelers. We all traveled to the Ponte Vedra Valley Cemetery to honor our deceased veterans. It was quite a ceremony: parade of the bikes, a horse-drawn cannon, prayer, 9 gun salute, placing of the wreaths, and a WWII veteran honor guest. We then left there and were served lunch at the American Legion Post. Good Florida weather and NO rain!

DNSarnia

If I could, I would....

Thanks for your triplog Gizmo... I'm now over 2,000 km (about 1200 miles) in the month of November. If I travelled only south, I would be somewhere safe and warm for the winter, but all my 'trips' have been within about a 4,000km square (200km x 200km) and all of it in Ontario only.

It would have been so easy to have just crossed the bridge, turned left, and kept on heading south.

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Thanks for your triplog Gizmo... I'm now over 2,000 km (about 1200 miles) in the month of November. If I travelled only south, I would be somewhere safe and warm for the winter, but all my 'trips' have been within about a 4,000km square (200km x 200km) and all of it in Ontario only.

It would have been so easy to have just crossed the bridge, turned left, and kept on heading south.

That's what we buy a bike for .... trips into the unknown. Glad you're doing your part (kilometers) for the north, I'll do the miles in the south!

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Good to see you guys still out riding .

I probably wouldn't be riding if I didn't have friends to ride with and a destination to be had! Sure beats spending Saturday morning watching cartoons, no adventure in that!

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Corky Bell's Ride, Palatka FL

Saturday, I started out with a short Motorcycle Skill Practice session (90 minutes) at a local high school with a few members of a riding group. One of the riders had assembled a mini course of small cones (Figure 8's, maneuvering, emergency stops) to sharpen our skills. After we were done, we met up with the others of the group. The skies was overcast, had a possibility of rain. The temps stayed about 75 F with very little wind ... great riding weather. 15 bikes/18 riders attended our short ride (90 minutes) to Corky Bell's Seafood & Steaks in Palatka, FL. I rode in my usual spot, tail, in case of motorcycle breakdown in the group. There is a kind of freedom being able to watch everyone in front of you and being able to use the whole road. The bad part about it is that you do get caught, quite often, with stop lights and then have to speed up to catch up. Luckily, the Dino does accelerates quickly and hugs the road. On the way back, myself and 3 other took a quicker path home. I encountered a few sprinkles but was dry when I pull into the garage.