Where was your last ride?

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Lunch @ Salt Creek Restaurant

Sunday, the 6th. Just a short 270+ mile ride, round trip, to Suwannee, FL with a few friends. Left bright and early (9 AM) from Bagel Love, Jacksonville FL, with a total of 9 bikes and headed southwest to the west coast of Florida. Our route was the usual "flat," curvy back roads with an occasional hill here and there. Temps didn't warm up till about 10:30 and even then with the sun now out, the wind picked up substantially. No sport bikes this time so the Dino was the "lowrider" on this trip which helped a lot hugging the road. Most of the bikes were the "big" Harleys and large "heavy" cruisers ... easy pickings for the likes of the DN-01! Last week I had made a similar ride to this area, on my NT700V, except I dined on the other side of the Suwannee River. (It was definitely warmer on that trip). Even though most of my latest rides seem to been to seafood restaurants, I still maintain my order of a burger and fries, no matter what is offered. (I'm kind of surprised that I haven't encountered more sandy roads in my travels here in Florida as much time as I spend near the beaches). Good routes and mature riders make these outings very enjoyable and safe. I think shortly I'm going to have to hang up my "toys." It's starting to get a little TOO cold for my liking ... because I AM 'A FAIR WEATHER' rider! Time will tell ... probably another month!!

DNSarnia

And then Gizmo?

I think shortly I'm going to have to hang up my "toys." It's starting to get a little TOO cold for my liking ... because I AM 'A FAIR WEATHER' rider! Time will tell ... probably another month!!
I'm sure only to get them out again in a day or two.... LMAO.... Enjoy your "Winter" in Florida!

Seriously though, Jacksonville vs Fort Myers Beach is quite a few degrees difference at this time of year.

Gizmo

Site Suporter
I'm sure only to get them out again in a day or two.... LMAO.... Enjoy your "Winter" in Florida!

Seriously though, Jacksonville vs Fort Myers Beach is quite a few degrees difference at this time of year.

Now THAT is quite true ... Florida is funny that way! I am hoping to get some downtime so that I can put my bikes in the shop for some much needed "preventative" maintenance. (Both 680cc engines need the valves checked and adjusted IF necessary $$$$).

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Toys for Tots and Destination Daytona

Busy weekend. Started out Saturday with a Toys for Tots run with 15 bikes/riders. We began our little ride at 11 AM and continued our trek to a Jacksonville Fire and Rescue fire station, to drop off the toys, roughly 3 hours later. We met the fire crew and several of us got to ride in the "BIG" fire truck and even was able to use the siren and horn. From there we went to a nearby pizzeria in Baldwin for some well needed eats. Great time for a good cause.

Sunday, at 9, I hooked up with a local scooter club, 7 Bridges, for a run down to the Daytona area, Destination Daytona, to the Pig Stand. Since scooters aren't really designed for the open road, major highways, we took a considerable amount of time (4 hours) getting to the Stand which is only about 75 miles away. It WAS a enjoyable though, warm 80 degree weather with some strong winds. Still we were able to maintain 60-70 mph speeds during the ride, it was just a LONG route. Again I made up for the time with my return via I-95 directly north, about an hour. (Cranked up the Dino and just "played" zoom zoom bike with the traffic). Definitely a good and busy weekend!

Gizmo

Site Suporter
3 Bananas, Crescent City, FL

Saturday, 12/26/2015. 26 bikes, 27 riders. Quite an assortment of bikes. We all headed to the 3 Bananas restaurant in Crescent City, FL, just 60+ miles away. We started late @ 10:30 since the ride was just an 1 1/2 hours, just a straight shot down US I-17 S. This time I was in the middle of the group, acting as a "pusher" (as I call it) to help maintain some type of order to having so many bikes. It was mentioned for 2 groups BUT it didn't happen! And due to traffic and lights, we DID get separated SEVERAL times getting to our destination but were able to regroup further down the road. The food and the location (on the water) was great ... we took up about half the establishment. (They made some money that day). What was interesting about this ride was the fact that 2 NM4s (Honda's "unique bike) owners were able to meet and compare their upgrades. I had "meet" these 2 riders previously online and face-to-face so I "kind of" arrange their meeting. I have always believed that the NM4 was the grandchild of the DN-01. Good friends and times were made that day! We all left together heading back the same way we came ... it just seemed so much shorter. As long as the weather stays nice, I'm riding.

http://www.meetup.com/FirstCoast/photos/26634253/#445403432
http://www.meetup.com/FirstCoast/photos/26634253/#445403323

Last edited:

Gizmo

Site Suporter
B & J's Steak & Seafood

Sunday, the 10th, hooked up with the 7 Bridges Scooter Club at 9 AM, about 50 degrees out. Took US 17 north to Darien , Ga, 2 1/2 hour ride, total of 12 riders after picking up 4 additional riders in Georgia. Temps stayed about 58 with a very chilly wind off the coast. Beautiful clear roads with very little traffic and no stop lights. Decided to forgo my usual burger for the buffet .... better assortment of "country" food at a good price. I followed the group on the way back home, but then jumped on I-95 for a speedier ride. The Road Captain and I were the only two who took the interstate, him on a Honda NC700X and me on the Dino. Needless to say, we ended up "racing" our machines, mainly to stay ahead of the traffic and just a little bit of competition. (Pretty much even)

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Suwannee River Cafe, Fargo, GA

Saturday @ 1015 left with a group of 21 bikes/26 riders (177 miles) for lunch. Started out a little chilly but warmed up to about 70 by noon. I need to buy myself some thermal drawers ... Floridians are not used to the cold weather. We like to ride but not in the cold or the rain, for that matter, even though we do get a lot of the latter! The ride was long but the roads were clear and traffic very light. We had an FJR as the lead bike so speed and twisties were the order of the day. We only had one bike rider who kept his speed to about 60 due the fact his dual purpose bike was an oil "consumer." It only develops if he attempted to do 60+ due to a product "defect" in the engine's construction, which the manufacture will NOT cover! Glad we use a Sweeper/Tail who was able to "baby sit" the rider when he fell too far behind. For once I was glad I didn't offer to be the Sweeper! I did position myself in about the middle of the pack to help with so many bikes. We reach the Cafe, offering a Southern Style buffet which disappeared quickly due to the large number of us. It wasn't a very big place ... more of just a hole-in-the-wall establishment but they were expecting us. After we ate, one of the riders pulls out a remote control drone from the back of this bike and launches it which videoed us as it flew around ... cool as hell! I might just have to get myself one ... I LIKED it! I made it back and only use just one tank of gas for the whole ride, leaving me with 1/2 gallon for when I drop off the bike to Honda for it's 24K mile service later this week.
On a side note, nearby my house is motorcycle training course taught by MTF instructors. I stop by whenever I come back from a ride. The last few months I've noticed about 8-12 students EVERY weekend. I guess more and more people are getting the M/C bug!

Last edited:

zebra03

Went for a ride Christmas here in Pa . It was almost 70 degrees . WILD . Rode 60 miles and had a blast .

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Favre Coffee & Papa Sean's Lunch

Met up with First Coast Friends and Riders @ Favre Motorcycles (America Service with Italian Style) bike shop about 10 AM Sunday for coffee and cookies. By 11 AM we had 31 bikes as we started out on our weekly trek, into Georgia and then settling back into Florida to eat at Papa Sean's Pizza. This time out, I had additional help as Sweeper (a 2015 Can-Am Spyder F3) rider. We have become fast friends (a retired sailor and a Marine), go figure! Having so many bikes resulted in a few times losing sight of bikes ahead. This resulted in the two of us having to take a shorter route to Papa Sean's because we had stopped for a rider who needed gas and there was NO WAY to catch up with the main group! We were able to get to the pizza place 15 minutes prior to the group though. Yesterday's ride was in perfect riding weather considering that we were in February. What was a 45 minute ride became a 3 hour adventure with a lot of twisty, country roads with an assortment of bikes and company, The Dino ran superbly considering that I just get it out of the shop for it's 24K scheduled maintenance work. I'm DEFINITELY going to be keeping her for a LONG time ... unique IS unique!

Last edited:

DNSarnia

How about a thread for First Ride - 2016?

Mine is still a couple 'chore-hours' away from riding. I'm still waiting for a new Air-Filter. New Tires are installed, New Brake pads have arrived, and are waiting for a warmer day to install.

Best to all for a Save 2016.

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Skill Practice & Ocean Front Luncheon

Met up Sunday morning with First Coast Friends and Riders for a 90 minute riding skill practice session which included how to properly pick up YOUR dropped motorcycle. We had 17 participants ... various different bikes, no problems and a lot of training. From there we traveled up the road to our meetup place, a gas station with several more riders. Left about 11 and taking "the scenic route," winding our way to the ocean, just 50 miles shy of the 75th Annual Daytona Bike Week festival. (Several people had gone down the day before, demo riding some of the "new" toys that motorcycle manufacturers are offering for 2016 and beyond). We finally arrived at the Sunset Grill, over looking the Atlantic. It was a great day for the ride, weather could not have been better!

Pebbles

We're way behind on posting our rides. Here's a short video from our ride into Washington DC on March 26th to check out the cherry blossoms. We wanted to do a sunrise ride but it was 37 degrees and we stayed up too late the night before. Not much DN-01 content, but the camera is mounted on Pebbles' helmet and you can tell its a Dino. Enjoy!

Terran Sin
Videographer for Pebbles

zebra03

We're way behind on posting our rides. Here's a short video from our ride into Washington DC on March 26th to check out the cherry blossoms. We wanted to do a sunrise ride but it was 37 degrees and we stayed up too late the night before. Not much DN-01 content, but the camera is mounted on Pebbles' helmet and you can tell its a Dino. Enjoy!

Terran Sin
Videographer for Pebbles
Nice video

zebra03

Rode down to Altoona for a ride and had a wonderful time . We ride down RT 36 and drive past all those windmills . Great town and lots of little trails and highways .

zebra03

Been riding a lot lately , almost every weekend . Mostly little back roads and such . Mrs Z has taken over full control of the DN-01 while I ride my Burgman 650 . In fact we will reach 20,000 miles tomorrow . . Amazing . I washed and waxed the old girl today and changed oil and it still looks and rides like a new one . Thank you Honda .

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Hey Gizmo . Are you still riding ? I miss your posts .

Sorry about that! Recently I've been into the "sport" mode of riding ... bought an R3 to satisfy my lack of the "sport bike" history of my life. I still ride my Dino but not to the extent I used to. It pretty much started after my 24K maintenance checkup and paying the BIG bucks to get it done. Plus I've been riding the bike, primarily, with the local "scooter" group which isn't quite that often. Recently retired so my riding time will definitely INCREASE!