The new HONDA DN-01 will be the NM4 !!

3spd6

the only problem with the ctx700's is they are devaluing the dn01. i have been looking at getting a second bike and have offered my dn01 in trade to see what its worth. the first honda dealer i talked to(about a leftover cb1100) flat out told me he didn't want my dino, wouldn't take it in trade and wouldn't even make me an offer for it. he said, why should i take yours when i can sell a ctx(thats the same basic bike) for less than what yours is worth. this was the biggest honda dealer in my state, a five star powersports dealer. i politely asked him how he could refuse a low mileage excellent condition honda and he said he had had no luck with them and didn't want another. i then told him, not so politely, where he could put his cb1100 and will not do business with him again. but the worst part is i'm getting pretty much the same response at other dealers also. i guess we'll hafta keep them until they're collectors items!!

Gizmo

Site Suporter
the only problem with the ctx700's is they are devaluing the dn01. i have been looking at getting a second bike and have offered my dn01 in trade to see what its worth. the first honda dealer i talked to(about a leftover cb1100) flat out told me he didn't want my dino, wouldn't take it in trade and wouldn't even make me an offer for it. he said, why should i take yours when i can sell a ctx(thats the same basic bike) for less than what yours is worth. this was the biggest honda dealer in my state, a five star powersports dealer. i politely asked him how he could refuse a low mileage excellent condition honda and he said he had had no luck with them and didn't want another. i then told him, not so politely, where he could put his cb1100 and will not do business with him again. but the worst part is i'm getting pretty much the same response at other dealers also. i guess we'll hafta keep them until they're collectors items!!

They ARE collectors' items!! And only the privileged should own one! Just because they are not being sold here in the States anymore does not mean they are not still being made and sold elsewhere. You would do better to just sell your bike outright .... I bought my bike, get it from Craigslist, because I just WANTED one! They are rare!!

Plus ... who would buy an NM4 which is nothing more than a CTX700 and pay $3000 more! Is it REALLY worth the extra capital, be real!

Last edited:

Karlak50

dn-01 vs ctx700

I was looking at both bikes. Liked the shift drive. Also like style of dn01 better.
I really love it. No complaints and saved money. Just hope the dealer in my town has somebody that can work on it.

dndom

This week...

British MCN have just tested a Vultus and liked it! The DN hurt their brains.Awaiting a debate on their website soon!

3spd6

got to see an NM4 at the dealer(who coincidentally refused my dino) the other day. felt small and really toy like. reminded me of my honda helixes.

Gizmo

Site Suporter
got to see an NM4 at the dealer(who coincidentally refused my dino) the other day. felt small and really toy like. reminded me of my honda helixes.

Black does tend to make things look "slimmer" ("minimize" the size).

whitehawk

re gearbox type comparisons I guess everyone has their preference - for example I tend to use the manual shift most of the time as I like the control and it prevents the annoying confusion the gearbox has at around 53mph.
It may depend on the particular route/speed as I find D mode great for town driving (varying between 0 and 40mph). Also the change from 1st to 2nd (in manual mode) is a bit too much of a surge and like a bad gear change on a manual bike.
I guess my ideal bike would have an option of a HFT (without the 53mph weirdness) and fully manual (ie a proper manual gearbox and clutch) - but that sounds like a bike with two gearboxes!!

3spd6

shiftless

i find i tend to almost never use the manual as the auto feature works so well. i do however use the sport mode as a passing gear finding that kicks it up just about right for our 2 lane country type roads here in new england.

Ken

saw the NM4

went to a dealer that had one...I had great expectations. sorry, this bike is no DN01 competitor. The twin sounds like a rough running old parallel twin, not the smooth sound from the DN01. The chain drive is, well, like any other bike... The storage compartments are too small to be of any use, but I guess the integrated saddle bags are kinda nice. The bike just feels cheap, kinda like the new Seadoo jetski's with all the ABS plastic... There are things about my DN01 I would like to change, but this bike is too cheapy for me.

Gizmo

Site Suporter
I tend to agree with Ken about the "cheapiness" of the NM4 compared to DN-01. The "uniqueness" and capabilities of the NM4 over the DN-01 makes me seriously consider the NM4. Yet this IS a "trial" bike that Honda came out with using the same running gear of the CTX 700 under a "new" body. For 3K+, is it worth it though.

3spd6

nm4

i would like to see honda come out with any one of these bikes with threaded fasteners on the body work so u don't have to spend 5 hours acessing the spark plugs or the valves or the coolant bottle or anything. there is something to be said for a naked bike!!!

Gizmo

Site Suporter
i would like to see honda come out with any one of these bikes with threaded fasteners on the body work so u don't have to spend 5 hours acessing the spark plugs or the valves or the coolant bottle or anything. there is something to be said for a naked bike!!!
I couldn't agree with you more ... it seems these bikes were designed and built with very little intention to have to be taken apart!

bhamrider

So don't deal with a "dealer"
Sell your bike in an open market. My insurance replacement cost is $10,500.
If you want another bike, don't do the trade-in scam.

3spd6

the nm4

if ure replying to me(he said, 4 months later) i'm not looking to trade. i only offered my dino to see what it was worth. the only way i would have traded was if he swapped me even for the cb1100. he had had it all season so i figured it was worth an ask. no, i like my dino and would only trade it for an outstanding deal, which my previous post tells us all, a'int gonna happen.

3spd6

nm4

just got a new copy of motorcycle consumer news(good unbiased mag) with a test of the nm4. they were really not very high on it.:)

flybike

DCT vs Dino-Drive

I have a VFR1200F DCT and I am fully satisfied with the DCT. The software of the 2012 version is much better "learning" and the usage is really great. You can for example combine manual and automatic gear changing, and the software understand, when you like to let the bike drive alone again. The VFR is excellent for fast driving long distances. And you can easy take over, even fully loaded. The Duble Clutch system is the fastest way of changing gears, and my younger friends, when driving with them a little bit faster, were quite impressed about the advantages of the from them called "scooter like driving" versus their manual gear changing.

The automatic gear changing in DN-01 is good chosen to the character of the bike. The DN-01, which I know from 2010, and bought again second hand right now, is somehow more like a modern version of a chopper. For me, DN-01 is what a chopper was 30 years ago. A relaxed way of driving, without any hurry. And with the changes the last owner did to the bike, it is perfect for spring until autumn usage, replacing a car. http://bikerszene.de/biker/Flybike/medien/6961444/20150510_120439.html

flybike

You're joking -) Way more. Because DN-01 actually has no gears and no shifting, it smooth ride allows use it on snow.
LOL, may be I am not such a hard core biker... In Germany need to drive on snow and ice with special winter tires, otherwise you get fined and insurance will not fully compensate.

And in 2010 when I had my first DN-01 I remember driving on sloppy grass with the consequence of falling down. Nothing was heart except my ego. But the DN-01 has no traction control. So its quite difficult I think, to drive on ice and snow.

P.S. I've heard that VFR1200 is really fuel eater.
Well, normal consumption is between 5 and 6 Liter on 100 km. But when my wife is not with me, and I have to drive on motorway without speed limit, the consumption can easily go up to 7 or 8 liter /100 km, if the travelling speed is between 220 and 240 kmh. Top speed is between 250 and 260 kmh, but I never drive for longer, because it is too tiring, and anyway in most cases we have so much traffic, that you cannot drive so fast without putting other in danger.

spamer80

Well, from 2015 here you're now should have winter tires too. But all you get is that you possible could be stopped by police and pay :)
So probably no more winter riding. That's because I don't have a car. In large cities it's unusable cause of traffic jams.
You just need mor practice and then no more grass or even crossing the river would be the problem you care about :)