Where was your last ride?

Pebbles

Trip Report! We had a great time on our first interstate group meet up ride of the season the last weekend of April at Chincoteague, VA. WE always look forward to this ride as it's the first time we get to see many of our riding friends from other states again after the winter. These trips typically are 3 day weekends- travel to the destination on Friday, group dinner Friday night, Group ride on Saturday, group dinner that night and then ride home on Sunday. It's amazing how fast it goes by!

The region is referred to as the Eastern Shore and we have to leave Virginia, cross the Potomac River, cross from rural areas to the outer Maryland suburbs of DC, cross the Cheasapeake Bay, cross the flatest, dullest stretch of Maryland on the other side and finally re-enter Virginia and cross a 5 mile causeway to reach the island of Chincoteague.

The spring weather is always a mystery on what we're going to get. In the past we've experienced 50 mph gusts, heavy rains, 32 degree temps (night ride returning from dinner), hail, 85 degree temps (during the day), summer style thunderstorms and even occasionally perfect calm blue skies and mild temps.

This year was windy going out, overcast & threatening to rain on the day of the group ride (but held off until dinner) and beautiful weather coming home.

The ride out and back for us was 270 miles each way to get there and the Saturday group ride was 262 miles! On Saturday we rode out from Chincoteague and past the Wallops Island Flight Facility (they still launch orbital rockets from here)

ESR026 by Terran Sin, on Flickr

and thru the rural farmlands of Maryland on our way to the Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge.

ESR111 by Terran Sin, on Flickr

We stopped along the way to pick up bag lunches and drinks and then headed off for Hooper Island where we lunched on the rocks of the breakwater at the end of the road on what's called Middle Hooper Island.

ESR117 by Terran Sin, on Flickr

On the way back to the group's motel we took the Whitehaven Ferry, which is a little 3 car/ 6 passenger flatbed ferry crossing the Wicomico River at a point where it's only 900 ft across.

ESR105 by Terran Sin, on Flickr

It's an annual tradition to take this ferry ride and see how many bikes we can fit on it. The Coast Guard has cracked down on the ferry operators for overloading (see in the picture- it says only 6 passengers) but these old Marylander ferry "Captains" always give us a wink and take as many as they can. And it's a free ferry too!

ESR107 by Terran Sin, on Flickr

We only had 11 bikes in our group (there was a 2nd group that had taken a more sedate pace) and there was no problem fitting everybody aboard. We caught a little bit of rain on the way across and for another half hour down the road. But we had completely missed a big storm that had already crossed ahead of us!

ESR109 by Terran Sin, on Flickr

The only two events that were less than perfect happened to Sukuta Girl on the way there Friday.

1) We got caught up in a big traffic back up caused by road construction and as we inched our way along we started to ascend a curved and banked bridge just as our left lane was starting to be blocked by construction barrels ahead. I looked back and suddenly Sukuta Girl and her Dino were stopped and laying on the left side. She got up and the bike was only leaning over, held up by the left folding floorboard and her rear saddlebag. Another friend of ours was riding behind her and quickly rushed up to help her lift the bike back up and jump on. She had to turn the key off and on twice as the tip over switch must have triggered and it wouldn't start right away. I'm happy to say she kept her head and got moving again, putting it behind her. She's not sure what caused her to drop but I suspect the creeping along just caught her at a point where the revs dropped, the tranny disengaged and she was caught off balance on the bank, fully loaded with top case, seat bag and saddle bags. She couldn't hold it up but managed to let it settle gently- causing no damage to the Givi, the bike or herself. Wouldn't you know it, we crossed that little bridge section and the construction crew was just on the other side and then the road was wide open.

2) We had almost arrive and were about to cross the causeway to Chincoteague and decided to gas up a convenient place with great prices. Sukuta Girl finished fueling but then had trouble fitting her key back into the ignition switch. I took over and after few minutes another friend tried too. The key wasn't bent, it felt like the ignition switch was freezing up, possibly from surface corrosion inside it. I dipped her key into motor oil and worked it into the switch, which eventually worked. It was a frustrating 25 minute experience and we had to fuss with it several times during the trip. Since we've returned I've been hitting the switch with WD40 daily. But I'm concerned we'll have to replace that switch.

Happy Travels!
Terran Sin
Chief Farkle Mechanic, Key Wrangler and Valet for Sukuta Girl

Last edited:

Stove Pipe

Enjoyed the ride along with you guys in your story! Wonderful pics too! Glad your wife and her bike was OK in the mishap!!

Stove Pipe

It was 70 degrees today in the Ozarks, yep it is June 1st, WOW!! Made a ride to the Dairy Bar @ Timbo for lunch in that CLEAR COOL AIR!!

zebra03

My last 2 rides ended up in the RAIN . UGH The one was so bad , I passed 2 cars that had pulled over because they could not see . wow . The bike was amazing though . I felt completely stable .

Pebbles

Hey Zebra, Our next group ride is in PA this coming weekend. We'll be staying in Johnstown and doing the whole bit: Incline Plane/Rt 30/ Flight 93 Memorial.

Drop me a line if you can meet up with us :)

Terran Sin

Pebbles

We're just making the most of the good weather and extra daylight!
I'm going to post a trip report on our May group ride to West Virginia soon and start a new thread about our adventures collecting passport stamps for the Motorcycle Grand Tour of Virginia.

Should we keep piling on trip reports here or start a new thread?

Terran Sin
Chief Farkle Mechanic, Valet and Tour Guide for Sukuta Girl

zebra03

Hey Zebra, Our next group ride is in PA this coming weekend. We'll be staying in Johnstown and doing the whole bit: Incline Plane/Rt 30/ Flight 93 Memorial.

Terran Sin
Roughly , when and where is your ride planned in Pa ?

zebra03

Terran Sin
I have to work Sat. morning , but then will be free . Johnstown also has Flood museum and Horseshoe curve . Altoona has nice Honda shop ( Steve Seltzer Honda ) also . Just suggestions .

Pebbles

Apologies sent by PM. We had a last minute problem with our dog sitting arrangements, a buddy picked up a nail on Thursday and had to scramble to replace the tire for the ride, I worked until 8pm, etc. A whole bunch of stuff popped up to distract me and I forgot to follow up with Zebra.

We had great weather and many good roads today. Maybe we can make a return trip later this summer and meet up Zebra.

Terran Sin
Chief Farkle Mechanic and Troublemaker for Sukuta Girl:eek:

zebra03

Apologies sent by PM. We had a last minute problem with our dog sitting arrangements, a buddy picked up a nail on Thursday and had to scramble to replace the tire for the ride, I worked until 8pm, etc. A whole bunch of stuff popped up to distract me and I forgot to follow up with Zebra.

We had great weather and many good roads today. Maybe we can make a return trip later this summer and meet up Zebra.

Terran Sin
Chief Farkle Mechanic and Troublemaker for Sukuta Girl:eek:
sounds good

JG122

heat by right calf

took it for a ride yesterday, ambient temp = 83 degrees F

was getting alot of heat coming off the motor (or exhaust?), regardless of whether or not the fan was on...

naturally, the heat was moreso at idle, less so while at highway speed.

...normal ?

jackeadams

Key West

A couple of weeks ago about 5:30 pm I took the 256 mile ride to Key West; stayed with a friend a couple of days road back in a blinding storm... bike did well (due to load), stayed dry with rain gear. Best of all, the Garvin seat made the ride wonderful. Just have to remember to get off the bike at most every 75 miles for a stretch. Loads of fun.

Wasn't the first white out rain storm in with the bike; it tracks very well.

Stove Pipe

155 miles today and a portion of that was on the Push Mountain Road (Arkansas Hwy 341, Arkansas' Dragon). Much cooler and high overcast but no rain and almost ZERO Traffic!!

GREAT RIDE!!

new dn mama

hubby and i just racked up 850 miles in 6 days,went from northern washinton[anacortes]up into british columbia along the hope-princeton hwy#3,beautiful twisties,gotta watch for logging trucks,stopped for the nite in princeton[awesome thunderstorm-lightning]continued next day to kelowna,few more brief showers but air so dry didn,t stay wet.came home via osoyoos-okanagan valley105 f.too hot,worried bout tires melting!saw some smoldering remains of fires,got into leavenworth[mock bavarian town]had one of those huge mugs of cold brew.visited our son who is working with youth corps upin the mountains 5miles up agravel road,more worries bout the tires,had to go over a4500 moutain pass ,hubbies vtx1300 was popping away due to altitude,dn01 just kept purring along,got into using sport mode afew times when passing those big truks,every time 1 fuel bar would disappear,still was glad to have it.anyway was agreat trip,,had my bed roll up against my tail bag,what adifference on the back,almost hated to take it off,happy trails and a good summer everyone!

zebra03

First ride of the year . Went about 60 miles , had a nice supper . Bike rode flawlessly after a long winters nap .

Pebbles

Well we've been working and riding and working and riding so much that I stupidly hadn't given a thought about posting where we're going.

At the moment we're in Bryson City, NC until Monday morning 7/15 when we head for home.

On Thursday 8/1 we leave for the Finger Lakes of NY, spending the night in Lewisburg, PA. On Friday we'll spend the weekend outside Canandaigua, NY on an annual group ride. Zebra- I messed up connecting with you last year but let me know if you want to join us or just stop by to say hi.

Happy riding everyone!

Terran Sin
Chief Farkle Mechanic, Valet Parking and forum mouthpiece for Pebbles.

Gizmo

Site Suporter
Returned from New York State to Florida, Friday afternoon. Ride was great till I hit N Carolina thru Florida, heavy to light rain, all the way. US 81 suck in New York and Pennsylvania, wish someone would teach these people how to fix the roads right! I tried I-95 going up BUT ran into a 2 hour traffic jam outside of Washington, DC. Never travel that way, always jammed 365 days a year/24 hours a day. Bike runs good, stay away from semis though, especially when raining!